Lathrop Sunrise Rotary
The Lathrop Sunrise Rotary meets weekly for fellowship and informative programs. Membership is by invitation and is on the basis of one representative for each business, profession, and institution. This classification system ensures a cross-section of community representation. Local Rotarians are involved in numerous community events, including Relay for Life, Lathrop Beautification Day, Lathrop Celebration Fireworks, Thanksgiving Dinner, etc. Additionally , our International Service includes participation in Polio Eradication, wheel chair delivery to third world continents and development of clean water systems in Africa.
The Lathrop Sunrise Rotary meets weekly on Thursdays, at 6:30 A.M. Our regular weekly meetings are held at the Lathrop Chamber of Commerce office at 15104 S. Harlan Road, Lathrop. You are welcome to be our guest to see if the club is something you would like to join.
The Club wants you to attend the weekly meetings. Attendance is kept at each meeting and reported to the District each month. Rotary's attendance requirement of a minimum of 60% per half year is intended to help keep us focused on Rotary ideals and to foster a strong and active club. Lathrop Sunrise recognizes Member Attendance by hosting quarterly “Auctions”. Items in the auction can only be purchased with “Funny Money”. Funny Money is not legal tender. Rather, it is similar to Monopoly money. Members receive “Money” for the auctions by attending meetings and attending other club events.
You are encouraged to attend meetings at other clubs. There are Rotary Clubs worldwide, and you are welcome to attend any meeting. This is an exciting -- and easy -- way to meet new people and experience Rotary at other clubs.
Meals and Dues
Annual dues to Rotary International and to the District are $125.00 per year. Meals are based on what you order at the restaurant and will be individually billed. We do have a recognition program where members donate additional money if they have special event.
Newsletter and Web Site
Our club has a NEWSLETTER and a web site. Newsletters are created for each meeting and are provided electronically and hard copy. The web site address is www.lathropsunriserotary.org.
What is Rotary?
Rotary is an organization of business and professional people united worldwide, who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help to build good will in the world. The Rotary motto is: SERVICE ABOVE SELF.
Origin of Rotary
The first Rotary Club was organized in 1905 in Chicago, Illinois, by Paul Harris, a young lawyer. The name of the new organization was derived from the fact that the original members met in rotation at their various places of business. In 1910, Rotary became international with the formation of a club in Winnipeg, Canada.
The Object of Rotary
The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
• Development and friendship as an opportunity for service.
• High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignity of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
• The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian in personal, business, and community life.
• The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and fellowship of business and professional people united in the ideal of service.
Four Avenues of Service
Rotary has four avenues or reasons that it uses for service.
• Club Service includes all the programs at each meeting and other activities organized by the local club.
• Community Service focuses on involving the membership in community based projects.
• Vocational Service is responsible for educating our members and others about businesses and vocations in our community.
• International Service is mainly involved with exchange student programs, the group study exchange (for adults), and the many special programs of the Rotary International Foundation.